Sunday 29 March 2015

Back

I've read the last post here about quitting running and it still reads as wonderfully lucid.  It is consistent  and makes perfect logical sense.  But I am back.

After a while I missed the social aspect of running.  I love my running club and the camaraderie it brings.  At an event among thousands of people, you bump into a fellow Petts Wood Runner and you stop and chat.  If they know you, they know what is a good time for you, whether you are happy or sad.  They know whether you are fit or on your way back.

Without running I become obsessed with other (possibly more destructive pursuits).  Keeping an eye on my running tempers some of my more unhealthy habits.

My time away from running has left me much less of a runner but still healthy.  I now realised how far I had come with my running.   I want to get back and go beyond.

I've started running the works 5 mile handicap time trial the Cat and Canary.  Alas my handicap is based on when I was fast.  So the last two times I have finished the last runner by about 4 mins.

I am back running at the track every Thursday night.  I cut a forlorn figure at the back, off the pace of my previous level, struggling by myself.

My first race back was a 10k back in the Autumn which despite no training, I finished and enjoyed more than I expected.  I had only entered it on a whim.

Today I ran a the Paddock Wood Half Marathon.  My wife ran the Reading Half last week.  At half way I looked at my time, 56 minutes.  I started to worry she may beat me if I blew up (which I felt like doing)  I then gained some focus and dug deep.  In the end I cross the line in 1:52 with a slight negative split (very proud of this negative split)

The fact that I have changed my mind after being so vehement in my assertion that I had quit running troubles some people.  Not me.  I am minded of the quote by the Economist John Maynard Keynes:
“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

So, I'm back.  But there is a lot of work to be done to get back to where I once was.

13.1 Miles (21km) 1:52:01

No comments:

Post a Comment