Saturday 29 March 2014

Final and Best Park Run

73 Park Runs, and now my final one.  My training lately has been lax.  But it's my last Park Run.  I'm in full racing kit and go for it.

I push, push.  The people I've always considered faster than me are left behind.  Down the back straight I almost catch Mike Reeves.  But he edges away.  I start to suffer but keep going.  It's a mob match so I am running for PWR and not just myself.  So at the finish I drive myself.  I get myself into a five way sprint.  There's no way I'm going to lose probably my final sprint.  I win.  The time is a PB.   By a long way.  Not just a Park Run PB but a 5km PB.  20:22.

 I don't think I could ever drive myself to get under the 20 minutes.  Anyway, that is an arbitrary target.  An arbitrary distance, arbitrary time.

I push myself beyond believe and finish 51st.  I got overtaken by someone ten years older, in jogging bottoms and a top.  Most things in live aren't like that.  The winner is the last man left standing.  Running isn't like that.  80% talent, 20% effort.  I'm a last-man-standing kind of guy.  Bloody-minded my wife would say.  It's worked well in everything I've done.  Except running.  Which is about physical talent.  That and heavy weight boxing.  Not much else.

20:22 5km PB

No comments:

Post a Comment