Friday 19 February 2010

Hare and Hounds

It's the Work handicap race, the "Hare and Hounds". The last few runs I have been the Hare. This week I am 5th to go (i.e. 5th slowest) Darren sets off 6 seconds ahead of me. It appears he has never run before as his time is a guestimate. We run, and I follow his yellow shirt all the way down the embankment, across Westminster bridge. All the time 6 seconds behind.

Just before Vauxhall bridge he is losing form and looking weaker. We get to the bridge and I surge past him on the hill that is the bridge span. I feel I have him beaten. I then take the next runner on Millbank. In front I can see the two girls who are running together. They are dispatched across Lambeth bridge. Rapidly the Hare is taken and I am leading.

On the South Bank towards Westminster Bridge, Darren cruises past me, closely followed by the two girls. Darren is looking strong again. He hurdles the barriers under Westminster Bridge. I say to the girls, narrowly in front of me,
"Didn't realise it was a steeplchase?"
They grimmace, possibly at my poor humour.
Suddenly they go wrong. They head back over Westminster Bridge. I continue to follow Darren down towards Blackfriars. The whole time that 6 seconds behind. A man steps out in front of me talking on his mobile phone.
"Get out the way you %^&$£"* *&^%$"
The harshness of my comment suprises even me.

I wonder if I can take Darren on the hill of Blackfriars, but his form looks rock solid. I realise there is no sprint in my legs, even if I was able to draw level.

I cross the line sensing a good time. I congratulate Darren, but he is oblivious to our epic battle.

Darren has dragged me to a record time (1"40 better than any Hare and Hounds time, a staggering 3"00 better than the first run on this course) I hope that next time the competition is as tight to drive me on.

5 miles (8.19Km 38"15 PB) 2nd (Handicapped)

No comments:

Post a Comment