Thursday 25 February 2010

Rocketts Lockets

Went out with the city based running club at lunch. Tuesday and Thursday are intervals up and down the canal. The standard is high, very high. The elites were talking about "the nationals". The warm-up run to the canal is near my 10k race pace. I had been there once before with Niall but dropped out after 1 rep. Fortunately there were a couple of friendly faces in Aisha and Paul.

At the canal 10 sets of 1 minute intervals were called with 30 second recovery. 5 out, and 5 back.

Even after the first rep, the elites were stretching into the distance. After 3 I was dropping off the back of everyone. My spirit was flagging. At this point I found another straggler(also in Nike frees). We ran the reps with utmost dilligence. After the 5th rep we turned back towards the start. On the 10th rep the super-elites caught us on their return. So I managed to run at least 2 reps with them.

The canal was beautiful, finding a fellow straggler boosted my spirits further. I think I may stick with it. I'll never be elite, but one day I may reach the dizzy heights of "not very good"
8km fast and intervals!

No comments:

Post a Comment