Wednesday 11 May 2011

Beckenham Relays


Simple concept, 3 legs of 2.5miles around Beckenham Place Park.

Looking at the teams, I probably drag my team down to the slowest. There are some good runners here. I think the theory is to put your fastest runner last. Mike was going to do the last leg but had to leave early. I suggest Mark goes last but realise that I have been allocated the 'C' number, so I am running the last leg.

Mark comes through to set me off earlier than I expected. I start of too fast but once round the corner and out of sight of the supporters I settle in to a more sensible pace. I am following a lady runner. I catch and dispatch her on the hill up to Ravensbourne Station. I know this area from previous Assembly League runs and the Beckenham 10km. I get overtaken by a Dulwich Runner and then proceed to follow him round the rest of the course, but he is out of reach.

I know there is a final climb up to the finish. I make some ground on the Dulwich Runner. On the final straight cheered on by the other club runners, I conjure up a sprint.

I look at the time, do a little math and I am happy with the time. Then some of the other PWR teams finished. It looks like we finished middle of the PWR teams, a pleasing result.

A lovely evening, not too hot and a nice route. Good to see everyone from the club as well. Given I have not been running that much and still feel massively overweight a good night's work.

18:05 4.16km (4:20/km)

No comments:

Post a Comment