Friday 13 May 2011

Run Home PB


I have not run a significant distance (more than an hour) since the marathon. Today I decide to run home. One of my PBs is the run to/from work. This is an interesting one as I allow short cuts. The rule is from the door at work to the door at home, quick as possible. The run home from work should be slower as it is uphill. Though knowing I can flake out at home is easier than having to go to work.

Being in Beckenham Place park the other day inspired me to work out the quickest route across. This is not possible other than the at the height of summer as the park is locked at dusk.

I start off well. The City is crowded but I skip and jump through the crowds. Impressively so, to my mind. The Garmin reports generally positive figures and I keep going. Eventually I reach Beckenham Place Park. An afternoon spent pouring over satellite images suggested sticking to the railway line would be a good strategy. This I do. And it leads me through a wooded trail. Fantastic fun, as I skip and jump over roots and holes. I am aware that a PB could be on the cards. I wonder if the trail running will degrade the pace compared to running on the road. As I exit the woods, I realise that I may be able to go sub 1-30. I set this as my target and push on. I exit the woods and have to slog across Railway field towards Ravensbourne Station.

In a similar way to after the ultra-marathon, I feel that the Marathon has toughened me up. I am able to go on relentlessly. At Ravensbourne station I have 10 minutes to make it back under the 1-30. It has to be less than a mile and I can run 10 minutes miles (though not at the end of a Marathon...) I push and push. I sprint down my road, and the jab the Garmin. 1:27. Nice. The tidy short cut through Beckenham probably contributed to the good time, but even still the average pace was 5:17/km which through the City and with the backpack is pretty good going.

Later the thigh hurts slightly but not enough to regret the run.

1:27:14 16.5km (5:17/km)

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, brilliant story and idea.....brilliant. So much that I am going to steal it. We could organise a trail run that basically means we have to draw a straight line between two points (not difficult) but run it and to only deviate if there is a possibility of criminal trespass.

    ReplyDelete