Tuesday 3 May 2011

On the way back


I have a bad day at work. I'm still determined to go running tonight with the club. Time to stop slacking and get back on it, so I go with Group 4. James is away and Phil leads the group.

As we head across Chislehurst Common, we go up a path.
"You've taken us up someone's drive" I joke at Phil.
But the truth was we had!. We turn round and bump slap bang into group 3.

Soon we are running in the countryside and as the sun sets it is beautiful. The thigh feels a little sore but it doesn't hurt. After a while the faster-than-group-4 pace starts to take its toll. We come to a gate in the middle of the woods, exactly the same time as groups 2 and 3 arrive. There is a little bit of sorting out and the groups reform. From this point, some fast people go off the front, some slow people off the back. I kind-of hover in the middle on my own. Gradually I hear a couple of runners creeping up on me and so I pick up the pace.

I had hoped for a nice easy James group 4 steady pace but Phil runs a punchy pace, letting the sweepers pickup the tail-enders. I'm far from form but as I run I feel that I am flying along. I am overtaken but opening up at full blast feels good.

11.75km 5:21/km

1 comment:

  1. That was pretty amusing to see about 40 people "crash" from three seperate directions and then with some form of osmosis all gather in their original groups and carry on.
    I pulled out as I was feeling a tad tired after another weekend of running and went for a convoluted route home at a more sedate pace.

    ReplyDelete