Wednesday 21 December 2011

First NZ Slow Run


I'm in NZ on holiday. I tried to run (on a treadmill) in Los Angeles but the kids precluded it. 


Since I have been in NZ I have had cough remnants and a sore, sore throat. I have drugged it away a couple of times. Today I finally decide a short gentle run may be in order. 


I decide to run round to see the extent of the earthquake damage on our old house. 


As I start running I never get past snail pace. A lady runner zooms past. I say:
"I'm on a easy one today"
"Nothing wrong with that she replies"


I had dreams of powering up hills and some serious trail running here this holiday but I feel a long way off that. 


I inspect the damage on the old house. The far end of the road is much, much worse. 


I turn and struggle back. Another lady runner zooms past. Having been in the last stages of an ultra-marathon and a marathon (x2) I know how to keep going and despite feeling horrible I keep shuffling along. 


As I near home, a new problem.  I need the toilet. Badly. I get home and the door is locked. I bang on the door and finally my wife comes down. 


I am hoping this abysmal form is part sickness, part rustiness and that normal service will be resumed. And then to this hills and trails.... 


5km 35 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment