Saturday 7 January 2012

Earthquake, Jet Lag Blues Park Run

It all went wrong in NZ.  I was planning to get some serious training in for the Moonlight challenge (32mile ultra) and kick start my sub 3:30 Marathon Training.

The first problem was that all of the trails I had been dreaming of were shut, deemed too dangerous because of falling rocks.  This I may have been able to work around (at serious cost to my sanity).  However a couple of days before Christmas a massive 6.0 Earthquake struck again.  Whilst the damage was limited we continued to experience heavy aftershocks for the rest of our time in NZ.  My wife was too scared to be left in the house alone without the kids.  The upshot of this is 2 weeks without any running.

I have been battling the jet lag since getting back.  Finally today I drag myself to park run.  I don't intend to push hard but how much fitness can I have lost in two weeks.  Lots apparently.

I start off fine but then the pace drops to a sluggish jog.  It's not painful like sometimes, just sluggish.  I struggle round, I even put in a token sprint in the end.  I suspect the time is going to be bad.  And the time is appalling.  My 3rd slowest time ever and that includes the run in a foot of snow!  My instinct is that this is more hit by jet lag than complete loss of fitness.  Interestingly when I weigh myself at home, I have lost 3.5kg in NZ.

In reality, the full Moonlight challenge is not a goer coming to soon on the 5th Febuary.  I will go and maybe do 20miles as part of the Marathon training.  This is disappointing but the Brighton Marathon is my 'A' race for the year.  There is no reason why this and the 3:30 target the should be impacted.

Time to get over this jet lag, knuckle down and get back on track.

5km 26:06

No comments:

Post a Comment