Saturday 21 January 2012

Another Night Run

Simple premise.  Jerry leads us on a 4 or 5 mile run through the fields and forests of deepest darkest Kent to a Kent Boozer. A quick pint and then 4 or 5 miles back to the start for another couple of pints.

We start of in Shoreham with 13 runners.  At the beginning I start to struggle.  Maybe some of the week's exertions are catching up with me.  I am running towards the back. I gradually move towards the front and then it becomes a little easier.

The nature of the runs in stop/start while people catch-up, we get our bearings or navigate an obstacle such as a river or stile.   I am confident in my fitness and the little breaks allow me to recover.  A good sign of fitness is the ability to recover.

At the pub because of the detox I only drink lemonade.  I decide to ditch the coat for the run back.  About a km into the run back, the coat is back on because of the cold.

Towards the finish some of the back markers start to struggle.  We slow the pace and then walk for a bit before the final jog back into Shoreham.  Importantly we all finish together.

A lovely run, a couple of points where I was chatting away to the group I forgot I was running and was just flowing.

My worry now is that my light is too bright.  With the headband, some of the brightness gets into my eyes.  Maybe I just need a simple running head torch which would also allow me to keep a little of my own night vision.  Though on last week's 3 hour morning run, the dark sections were fine.  I'll see how it goes on future runs.

I had my trail shoes on, a pair of socks and the seal skin socks.  No problems at all, so they should be good for the Moonlight Challenge where I'm pretty sure I will only run 20 miles.

A night run enjoyable as ever.

14.4km 2.5 hours with a 0.5 hour stop in the pub




No comments:

Post a Comment