Friday 20 January 2012

Competitive Hare and Hounds

It's the work's 5 mile time trial.  On a handicap basis I have won the last 3 I have entered.  This is because the time is calculated as (avg(time) + best time) / 2.  I have been getting better recently.  My predicted time is a minute slower than what I am capable of running.

I start off, dressed in full race kit.  I easily catch the runner in front.  But then, the otherside of Westminster Bridge he takes me again.  I follow him round the rest of the run.  The thing I notice is that there are lots of H&H runners around.  The handicap is really doing the business this month.

It becomes clear I am not going to win.  Interestingly in the last mile or so, I feel strong again.  I start to hold and even catch some of the faster runners that have taken me.  Maybe some of those reps are starting to pay dividends.

At the finish there is a lady in front of me.  It is touch and go whether I will catch her.  Suddenly I am aware of a runner in red catching me.  So I push on and on.  I catch and dispatch the lady runner.  I then go into an all out, 100% spring effort but I am beaten by half a meter on the line.  Later I realise that the guy ran it sub-30minutes

The final time was 15 seconds outside my PB, yet I am pretty content with the time.  The course was windy and I have been stacking up the miles.

8.3km 37:40

No comments:

Post a Comment