Thursday 28 June 2012

A very hot 5km with my lunchtime group

I meet up with the Thursday lunchtime running group I have fallen in with.  Martin is there as well.  Today it is  a time trial of either a 2.5km or 5km.  These are run every six weeks  I have already decided to do the 5km having wimped out last time.  Oh, and it is hot.

I am determined to run a negative split rather than going for all out time.  I start off alright, but then the sun starts beating down and reflecting off the concrete.  The first "lap" is in 11 minutes.  Last month I had run the 2.5km in 10minutes dead and stopped.  As I push on the sweat starts to sting my eyes.

The last couple of km I am seriously overheating and feel myself slowing, but I keep going.  I see the finish and even put together a sprint.

In the end I cross the line, not in a negative split but in a satisfactory 22:23.  I slump in the shade and try to cool down.   I struggle to jog back to the office and end up walking large portions.

In the lift at work it tells you the outside temperature.  I am shocked to see 28C.

In reality with the Corporate Challenge and the great City Race coming up, it was just what I needed.  The Achilles is a little bit tender at the moment.

5km 22:23

No comments:

Post a Comment