Friday 19 August 2011

Post baby hare and hounds

I'm busy at work today, but I am determined to do the work running club's 5 mile handicap race.

I notice another runner is due to start 1 second behind me. He stalks me down the embankment until suddenly I have to tie my shoe lace. I overtake him again by barging through the crowds at Westminster bridge. He takes me again on the way To Vauxhall bridge. I make up ground using my secret stairs technique. I edge into the lead but disaster again on Lambeth bridge as my shoe lace comes undone again. I work and catch him again. I sense he his weakening and eventually dispatch him.

I zone in on the next runner. I shout "hey" at the tourists and they magically part. I joke to the other runner I am leaking all my secret techniques! He holds me for a while and then drops away.

Down past ITV I really can feel the heat. I spot the sole lady runner, reel her in and dispatch her. I think I am leading. I dig deep across Blackfriars bridge. I am terrified a runner(possibly my nemesis) is going to pass me.

I grimace and gurn my way to the finish. A quick glance behind me and I can't see anyone. I open up into a sprint looking for a few seconds to be shaved off my time As I cross the line I realise that I am first back and in record time.

Around a minute later the other runner comes back and we shake hands.

A really good run, 1:20 faster than my target time I wonder what it would have been on a cooler day and without two shoe lace stops!

It would seem cutting the booze and food is having a positive effect.

5.2 miles 37:48

1 comment:

  1. A great running tale Andy and a very impressive time considering the hazards and crowds.

    ReplyDelete