Wednesday 17 August 2011

The run home from work(again)


This time I am better prepared for the run home. My kit is nicely packed and I leave at 5:45pm on the dot. I absolutely fly to Cannon Street, zipping in and out of people. I find the 5:56 to Hayes (via Lewisham). I am all ready to get off the train and run. I plan to take a flatter, longer route around Ravensbourne station and miss out the hill and Railway fields.

Then I realise it is raining. I hadn't really factored in rain. I knew that if I am to run/train everyday then there will be rain. Just didn't expect it so soon. Fortunately I am prepared and I pack up my wallet and phone in the waterproof rucksack liner. This means no music or podcast to listen to on the way back.

I disembark the train and zip off. As I go through Lewisham it all feels a bit edgy. There are gangs of youths hanging around and lots of Old Bill. Still when I am running you tend to flow through them. Glad my phone is out of sight (rather than in a side pocket playing me tunes or podcasts) I wonder if there will be a resurgence of the rioting.

The rain is not too bad. The shoes get a little squelchy, but I can live with it.

The other side of Catford I start to really struggle. I can't quit as I have to be back for the kids. At Downham I go properly boom. I find a Newsagent and stop for an emergency Picnic (The chocolate bar, not an actual picnic with breadsticks, houmous and warm white wine duhhh!) and some Lucozade.

This gets me going again. But it has sapped some time so I push on. On the otherside of Beckenham Place park I had planned to run down to Shortlands station and round, but I decide against it, and take on the short sharp hill and Ravensbourne, thinking it will get me home quicker.

I battle on and make it back. In the end, door to door was 1hr15 which wasn't bad. I am ravenous when I get in. Fortunately some guests have left some Krispy Kreme donuts. I am also wet through rain but also sweat.

I wonder if I will be up to running tomorrow.

8km 50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment