Saturday 27 August 2011

Holiday night run

I have been on holiday in Devon all week. There are some beautiful Coastal paths just waiting to be explored. But with three kids now, with one only one month old it's been a struggle.

The other night I bought a cheap led torch similar to the one that had served me so well on Jerry's night run.

Tonight, on the last night of the holiday, I took the chance.

I decide to run in the Vibram Five Fingers. It is pitch black and drizzling.

I head down the Coastal path. I can hear the sea, but other than a few distant lights in Tor Bay I cannot see more than a couple of feet in front of me.

But I feel alive. Not slipping over, avoiding rocks and sensing the environment is my focus. I am or aware of any effort with the running.

I come across another walker with a torch., he is nervous ut I greet him and he is calmed.

At one point Iose my footing and go over, but no damage done and not too muddy.

Eventually I reach the end of the coastal path and it splits into a Coastal reserve. I don't want to get lost so I turn back. The rain starts to pick up,

I come across someone walking their dog, and they tell me they are holding their big dog back. Thanks!

I run back through the holiday camp to my chalet, powering up the hill past some people coming back from the cabaret.

When I get back I am exhilarated. I love running in the vibrams though the elastic hurts the top of my feet. Tonight was more about movement than running.

5km 30"00

1 comment:

  1. That sounds brilliant Andy, I just love the idea of running along the coast at night and in the rain.

    ReplyDelete