Thursday 1 September 2011

Beckenham Assembly League

I have been off work the last couple of weeks.  I had been eating healthily and cutting back on the beer.  The last couple of weeks, due to holidays has been less healthy.  I weighed myself before the run and I was 81.5kg (I need to be much less than this, but based on the last 20 years, this is very light!)

At the start I see John, Richard and Hannah from the club.  I also see Deidre and Martin from work.

I start of well and power up Ravensbourne Hill.  Then at the Millwall FC training ground I start to struggle.  My legs feel stale. Interestingly my upper body feels strong from lugging kids around.  In reality I need to keep up the running and build up the upper body strength.

Eventually I enter Beckenham Place Park.  As I run up to the hill to the finish, all the other running clubs are standing around encouraging their runners home.
 
Someone looks at me and shouts at their runner,
"Come on you can take him"
Except he can't.  In the last 200m no-one beats me.  So I pick up the pace.  They try and battle but I stay ahead.  Then suddenly, someone flies round the outside even faster, so I step up again.  Of course, I finish ahead of them.  At the finish I am breathless, and yet I could I have sprinted faster.  Maybe I am the Mark Cavendish of the running world, but alas your team can't drag you to the finish for a glory spurt in running.

A great evening, good to catch up with people but then it's back to the baby!

4.5km 20:01

No comments:

Post a Comment