Friday 16 September 2011

Hare and Hounds

I'm enjoy the long mileage of twice a day runs.  But with today's Hare and Hounds 5 mile time trial in mind I had taken yesterday off.  To be honest the thighs were a little sore, even today.

I chat with the fellow timed runners at the start.  I'm off and start to struggle.  But I keep going, and gradually reel the other runners in.  By half way, there are only a couple of the slower runners in front.  And in time I dispatch them.

The thing with the handicap run is that you never know when one of the superfast runners will come storming up behind you.  It's one thing to reel in a slower runner, another thing to hold of a 31 minute-5 mile runner.  As I cross Blackfriars bridge I push, but I am not aware of anyone lurking.  As I come off the bridge I see a blue shirt lurking.  I panic and somehow drag a killer sprint.  I'm rarely beaten in the last 200m of a race.

In the last 100m I glance behind, and I am clear.  For the second month in a row I win the handicap.  At the finish I can't remember the time from last time and whether it is a PB but once again I am bent over double.  It shouldn't be a PB.  This month I had run hard, but off the back of a couple of hard weeks of running I should be tired.

The result email confirms it, a PB.  And even better, beating someone who's sporting ethos isn't always my cup of tea (I'd really love to say more but...)

5.2 miles 37:33 (PB)

No comments:

Post a Comment