Wednesday 21 September 2011

Proper Barefoot

I've been reading a book about barefoot running by Barefoot Ken-Bob.  He is on the more extreme end of the Barefoot running spectrum (as opposed to Barefoot Ted who seems to be more into minimal shoes)

BKB doesn't believe in any shoes, ever.  He even thinks Vibram Five Fingers are spawn of the devil.  He recommends going to find some gravel to run on first as running on concrete is too easy and you learn bad technique.   I understand what he is saying, but to go running on gravel, barefoot?  Even my barefoot park runs are mainly done on grass.

I get the train from Cannon Street to Lewisham.  I run to Beckenham Place park in my Barefoot Evo shoes (which I am starting to really like)   Then I remove them.  There is a gravel path that leads through to the woods.  I get some funny looks from some youths on their BMXs.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained so I head onto the path.  I can feel the gravel, and I start of gingerly.  I try to remember all the techniques I have been reading about in KFB's book.  I'm a bit slow but I'm making progress.  Next I work my way through the trail in the wood.  Carefully, moving more than running.  A couple of times my feet detects trouble in the shape of something sharp, but tuned-in I am able to move my foot away.

The other side of the woods there is more gravel.  So I work my way across it.  I feel almost like I am walking, I am so upright but I am moving at more of a jog pace.  And I'm learning.  I'm piecing it all together.

I was planning to replace the shoes on the other side of the park but decided to run barefoot the rest of the way.  The first bit was on pavement road which was not as bad as I though (not as abrasive as I was expecting)  Then the unmade road with lots of big stones and lots of small stones.  I flow across it.

On the other side was a shingle path.  I get on with it and run across it.  A couple of students come the other way, and I r heaone say:
"Someone's Buzzing"
Not sure if this is a reference to the fact that only someone on drugs would be crazy enough to run barefoot across a shingle path.  Or maybe it was the paranoia and they weren't even talking about me(see below)

It was great running barefoot.  I was careful to avoid "Barefoot Exuberance Syndrome" where you over do it and end up hurting yourself.

Running in the aquas and the evos (despite BKBs objections and doubts) I believe has given me a half decent barefoot style that I was able to refine.  The worst part was the paranoia.  You do feel a bit of a freak with everyone looking at you.

I didn't think it was possible, but I know believe it is possible to run barefoot in supposedly inhospitable  environments like forest trails and gravel paths.  And to give BKB credit, he was right, it felt fantastic.

I can't wait to see where this adventure is going to take me...

8km 50:00

No comments:

Post a Comment