Monday 12 September 2011

In the ghetto (drive-by)

I hadn't planned to run half way home, but a little lateral thinking had inspired me.  I put on my smelly lunchtime running kit, well due a wash.  I run to Cannon Street and get the train to Lewisham.  This time I am convinced I need to run through the middle of Beckenham Place Park to save some time and so I head that way.

As I run through Bellingham I hear a moped revving. I spot a group of people standing on a corner.  Suddenly two masked motorbike riders appear.  One on a trail bike and one on a moped.  There is tension in the air.  I think there is going to be a drive-by shooting.  This is not good.  So I sprint out of there.

I run across Beckenham Place Park and get lost in the woods.  I see someone coming towards me with a white dog.  I realise it is Matt from the running club whom I did the Brighton Marathon with.  We stop and have a good running chat.  It's nice to have a recovery period after my panic-sprint.

I end up way off course by trying to guess my way through the woods.  I almost end up in someone's back garden. A women in her garden stares at me, so I turn and go the long way round.

It feels good to pull a run out of the bag.

The rest of the run is uneventful but pretty enjoyable.

 8.5k 50 minutes (10 minute stop for an enjoyable chat with Matt)


No comments:

Post a Comment