Saturday 24 September 2011

Almost Run Home PB

Friday at work and you can always slope off a bit early.  I start of at 5:30pm hoping to run the whole way home and get back for 7:00pm.  But I'm struggling.  The body is all grumbly.   But, after listening to the Marathon Talk Podcast by Prof. Ian Noakes about how we don't push ourselves hard enough, I push, and push.

I get caught at a couple of road junctions but keep going.  My body is screaming pain and suffering.  But I don't believe it.  So I push on, and on, and on.

At Catford Station, I see a woman start to cross the road.  She goes all wobbly and crashes to the floor.  Everyone around rushes to help.  So I look to see what I can do.  A car is about to turn right and run everyone over.  So I stop the traffic with an out stretched palm.  The twat driving the bus toots his horn.  But I ignore him.   The patient is moved to the pavement.  I look at the situation and it is in hand, so I resume the push.

Towards the end I get faster.  I believe I am built for distance.  Some may say Bloody Mindiness.

As I get home I look at the watch: 27:44.  I think it is a PB, despite stopping to marshal traffic.  As I sit down to write this blog, I realise I have run 27:14, but it was a fantastic effort.  The desire to wimp out and ease off, firmly rejected.

Now all that is needed is a couple of long slow runs and the Beachy Head Marathon could be quite tidy.

1:27:44 18km

No comments:

Post a Comment