Tuesday 9 October 2012

Up a group again at the club

I was going to run with James's group again at the club.  He said he would be running 8:45/mile which seemed a bit slow for what I want to be doing.  The faster group, Karen announces she is going to be "Pace Police".  I decide to move up.  The super-super fast group decide to all move down in to the group.

In the end the group soon splits with a faster, fast group splintering off.  But the pace is good and even and the group cohesive.  Karen lets her concentration slip and runs into a post.  She doesn't seem too hurt though.

I'm still reading the book on how to run faster.  Reading further into the book, some of the things I tried yesterday were wrong.  Arms shouldn't be crossing your chest.

Tonight I focus on, a quick turnover, leading with the knees, leaning forward, pulling with the arms.  And it seems to help.  When we come to the hills I change down a gear by shortening my stride length and I go up the hills smoothly.  The main limiting factor is still a slightly wheezy chest.  Not sure if it is running in pollution or whether the last cold is still be recovered from.

At the end I pick up pace again and finish with a sprint.  A good run.  This is how I would like club runs to be.

The main thing I take away from the book is that if you always run steady then you train yourself to be a plodder.  The remedy seems to be less steady runs, more hills, more intervals, more fartlek.  Not sure how that fits in with my commuting runs.  I'll have a think.

10.73km 54:59


No comments:

Post a Comment