Monday 10 May 2010

Born to run

I am currently Reading "Born to run". This is a book about some Mexican native people(the Tarahumara) who love running, run almost barefoot, hate crowds and sporadically have heavy drinking sessions. Maybe I need to check out my family tree? Alas they are rather good at running and that is where the analogy falls down.

Have just been far too busy to run recently in all aspects of my life. Today I was determined to get out. No pace or time targets, just running for the sake of running.

The Tarahumara run ultra-marathon distances. They seem to do this through their attitude to running. Light, airy and joyful. And that was how I ran today. The route was an old favourite: down to Blackfriars, along the north bank to Tower Bridge and back down London Wall.

It feels so good and I could run all day without tiredness setting in. However, work is calling. The last half km I sprint. I always tell new runners that it never gets easy, it always hurts, even for the best runners. Part of running is accepting this. But today showed me I am wrong.

Today I felt like I was born to run.

35"46, distance unimportant

No comments:

Post a Comment