Monday 17 May 2010

Expensive shoes? Bah!

Having read Born to Run, I really am focussed on developing my barefoot running. I spent Sunday running around with the kids in my Aqua shoes (think plimsolls made from modern material)

So today the lunchtime run is to be in these. When you start running, you are told to go to a good running store to get corrective footwear. They watch you run up and down the road and then pronounce you are a "pronater". They then sell you some expensive footwear to correct your natural gait. The more you look into this quackery the less scientific basis it has.

I run to Waterloo Bridge and back. With no cushioning, and no support, apparently, I should be a crippled, injury mess. It feels rather nice. I can't run as fast. The lack of padding means each footstep has to be carefully, and mindfully crafted. It feels like learning to run again. If any pain or discomfort is felt, I am naturally able to adjust.

A number of people look at me, but they are looking at my work running club vest with my employers name splattered across the front. I look at the other runners, pounding in to the big cushions strapped to their feet. Their limbs flail and flap. I do not have such luxury, each footstep needs to gently flow, stroking the pavement.

I am running more upright, as my feet are flat rather than with a large spongey heel. I am using my arms more to aid forward propulsion. You may never run a race like this, but as a training exercise this is fascinating.

Perhaps, it was because I could not run as fast, I feel no fatigue. Some slight muscle soreness from using slightly different muscles but nothing uncomfortable.

My aqua shoes were £4.99. Less is more.

~5km, time not relevent

No comments:

Post a Comment