Tuesday 2 November 2010

Back of the pack

Tuesday night club run. It's warmer than last week and yet people are still dressed for Siberia.

Off with group 4 and James W. His favoured loop over Summer Hill. I like hills and so am fine with this. He promises it will be 9 minute miles, but I know different and am quite happy with the inevitable faster pace.

A couple of KM in and I'm running at the front of the pack (my bad cycling habits are hard to drop) I decide to run at the back for a bit. But as I slow down, everyone following me slows down. I cause a big split in the group and have to speed up.

As Summer Hill approaches everyone slows in anticipation. I speed up. I like hills. I dig in and assault the hill. A couple of people run with me. It feels like everyone else has dropped. A quick glance over the shoulder shows they have not dropped too far. I also have an extra motivation for getting ahead for a bit. I need a wee! At the top of the hill I dash off to the bushes. The group soon reforms and are off. I dart out the bushes and tag on the rear. From here on this is where I stay. Some people at the front really push the pace. The group goes in to 3. 4 or 5 off the front. Me and another chap, and James and friend at the back.

On the final run in to the rec-ground James whizzes past me. The front runners disappear into the distance. I could be pushing harder but I don't know if I could hold their pace today.

Another beautiful, beautiful autumn evening. A slight pain in the right calf to keep an eye on

11km ~1:01"00

No comments:

Post a Comment