Saturday 13 November 2010

Park Run PB?

Wake up, after a few a late night drinks. I've a long days driving down to Bournemouth to buy a car, but there's always time for park run.

The usual swigs of Coffee and PSP and no breakfast for the pre-run prep. Today unusually I take some music (Some house classics from my younger days which are good to run to). Steve the pace maker is running 22 minutes, so not much chance of seeing him. I have the Garmin and feel like giving it a go. Last week I had tried to run 4:40. This week 4:38 is the target.

I start off and suddenly the calf starts hurting. I'm not going to quit now, but given my last post here I feel silly. A mug even. Still, I keep going

Pacewise the first lap is not too bad. The 22 minute pacer is even kept in sight but the second lap I have to dig deep. One point a grunt with effort, and the guy in front looks scared. I hold on and even pull something together for the finish.

I look at the Garmin, and it's 22:50. Last week I had done 22:40 but the course was 80 metres short which I calculate I would run in around 20-25 seconds. So it was an improvement on last week.

The course was very muddy. The cinder path after the last couple of weeks (the back straight on the far side of the park) should be renamed the Windy Path, because of the strength of the wind. The discussion afterwards over a coffee was that the course would run a minute quicker in the Summer.

But my calf muscle bloody hurts.

22:50 5k (PB really though Park Run Website doesn't say so)

No comments:

Post a Comment