Sunday 7 November 2010

Mob match cross country


It's Sunday and a three way mob match between Petts Wood, Orpington Road Runners and Eltham Joggers. It's a hilly Cross Country Course through High Elms involving a couple of hilly laps. I ran a PB at Park Run yesterday and enjoyed few drinks last night. Best take it easy.

I have a Christening to go to later so I can't hang about. Across a field and into the Woods coming to stop as we all squeeze through a tight gate. The atmosphere is friendly. In the Woods it is high-autumn and absolutely beautiful. I recognise some of the route from the Orpington 10k.

Most of the route I follow James W around. The route reminds me of last years Interbank's Cross Country Championship around which I absolutely loved. I can't do it this year because of my little girls 5th birthday. I like the hills, you roll up your sleaves, shorten your stride and just get on with them. Running down the hills, isn't so much fun.

Towards the finish I am in such a good mood I joke with the marshalls.
"Can I do another lap?"
"Am I winning?"

The only concern is the pain in my calf. The hills can make Calf problems worse in my experience. But I am able to see it to the end. Some time off next week is on the cards.

Towards the finish I glance behind. No bandits at 6 O'clock, so no sprint finish required. But suddenly I spot a bandit on Karen's tail. She will have to dogfight all the way to the finish. To help her out, I sprint to inspire her. In the end she holds true and finshes ahead of her adversary.

Usually Orpington destroy us as they have some elite runners. Petts Wood are strong in the middle order(Lots of good runners, but hardly any elite runners). As such if we had a couple of strong runners we would have beaten them. We have never beaten them, but we'll get there. I know this, I support AFC Wimbledon.

Afterwards I tell everyone how beautiful and enjoyable it was. Not everyone agrees. Richard admits to preferring a nice steady road run but appreciates the training benefits. I like cross country (funny I hated it at School) and when the calf doesn't hurt, I quite like hills. I loved today

6.32km 32:18 54th/88

No comments:

Post a Comment