Saturday 6 November 2010

Short again

Park run on a Saturday. I'm not minded to push hard as I'm in a lull between proper goals. My main goal is the April Marathon. So at the moment I'm toying. But since I've made the effort to run I may as well apply a little thought.

My lesson from last weeks PB, achieved by running ahead and then along with the pacer is that I am going out too fast on Park Runs. The pacer swore blind that he runs an even pace. I was ahead of him (by quite a way) for 4/5 of the run.

Today the Garmin is my pacer. I intend to run the whole thing at 4"40/km. This should bring me in around 23"00. I find my pace is more even. The funny thing is the bit I struggle to hold the pace is the cinder path(see earlier posts) and on the downhill. It definitely is windier.

The whole race feels easier at a steady pace. I'm not digging deep, though I do put together a strong finish. As I cross the line I look at the watch 22"40. This was faster than I was expecting.

After the race I am puffing myself up. Then suddenly a figure on the Garmin catches my eye. Distance 4.91km. Last week was dead on 5.00km. The course had looked no different to me but must have been shorter.

How long would it have taken me to run the 0.09km? I guess between 20 and 30 seconds. That would have put me the same time as last week.

If the Park Run distance is going to be so variable how accurate a measurement of performance is it? I'll leave this as something to ponder.

I think the next thing to do is to try running to a set heart rate.

Still a good days work. Would have been better if I had not looked at that distance...

4.91km 22"40 PB?

No comments:

Post a Comment