Tuesday 30 November 2010

Snow Night Run


I woke this morning to snow. Not so bad that I can't go to work. In the City there is no snow on the ground just wet. After work, when I get the train back to Shortlands it is a snowy wasteland. Cars abandoned in an eery quiet.

Perfect night for a run.

The club run was cancelled so it would have to be a lone run. I have a plan. An old favourite: Water fountain to water fountain on Hayes Common. I pack the bike light which worked so well on Jerry's night run. I set off on the run to Hayes. The traffic is struggling with the ice and snow. I maintain a steady pace with no slipping.

A couple of youths decide to lob snow balls at me. I stop and belittle them.

I reach the common. I stop for a swig of sports drink and to turn the light on. A woman walks by and is suprised that someone is out running in this.
"That's amazing"

Light on, I run across the field at the front of the common. There are tracks but it is still harder to run through this then the compacted snow on the pavements. As I get further into the woods, the snow gets deeper. A number of paths are partially blocked by trees bent over with snow. It makes it hard to find the route. As I near the Road through the common, the snow becomes very deep. It is a hard slog and I think about turning back, but I'm not a quitter and push on.

Across the second road I see a car struggling. I don't have time to stop and so I zip off. The run up to the second water fountain is across a big snow field. As per tradition I touch the fountain and turn back downhill.

As I near Hayes, the snow thins out and there are more tracks making it easier. Suddenly a tree next me sags under the weight, cracks and deposits a sheet of snow. The noise of my footsteps had caused an avalanche!

The run back is steady. As I near home, I see the ice is freezing and the snow is noticibly heavier.

I like the snow. This was a run that will stay in the memory a long time. A work out for the mental toughness as well as the fitness.

1:23 - Distance unknown probably around 10km but irrelevent given the conditions

No comments:

Post a Comment