Tuesday 8 March 2011

Quick and Slow at the club


Tuesday night and I'm out with the club. I'm a little tender after last night spent quaffing large quantities of Champagne that my work running club had won over the year.

All day I ponder which group to run with. I rule out 5 and wonder whether it should be 3 or 4. I am also doing the Dunsfold 20 miles on Sunday.

In the end I go with group 4 lead by Emma (instead of James this week) I sit at the front as Jerry torments Emma. The pace is inconsistent and the people at the back struggle.

I then decide to drop to the back of the group and skulk there for a while. I soon move back up through the group.

We go past Jerry's house, Chislehurst Station, and then eventually we come to Summer Hill. A few people go off the front, I'm slow to react but then keep going and fly up the hill.

I drop to the back of the group again. Emma says that the run up Southborough Lane can be done at your own pace. I sink back to the slowest runner. Last night starts to catch up with me and I think about Sunday. Then I decide to go for it. I massively pick up the pace, fly through the spread-out pack and sit at the front. I then slow again and finish at a medium pace.

It was a good decision to run with group 4. Apart from a few crazy charges of my own instigation it was an easy pace.

10.69km 57:52 (5:24/km)

No comments:

Post a Comment