Monday 7 March 2011

Run to work, not quick but PB!


I was going to go running early with Jerry yesterday morning, but in the end took the kids swimming. This meant today I was due a longish run so I decided to run to work.

I wake up and my legs feel tired. Fortunately I have packed all my kit the night before which spurs me on to get going.

Unlike most runs which are a fixed distance I have special rules for what I consider a PB for the run to work. Short cuts are all fully allowed. It's a point to point race as quickly as possible. Because going down into the Thames valley is downhill I have a separate record for to and from work.

I have recently identified a short cut across Beckenham Place Park. This probably knocks off a km from the run. However the park is shut at night and the last few times I have had to slog over Beckenham Hill and round the park.

This morning it is light and the park is open. However I am struggling and I'm not enjoying my running. I crack on and keep going. The nearer I get to the city the easier it gets.

By the time I cross London Bridge, I am flying again. I gradually chip away at the average pace figure on the Garmin and zoom to the office, weaving through the crowds.

When I arrive at work I realise it is a PB. The short cut is pretty effective, if I can PB off a poor running performance.

16.5km 1:37'00 (5:52/km)

No comments:

Post a Comment