Friday 4 March 2011

Run home as it gets colder


I plotted to run home tonight. So after I had done my day's work I donned the aquas and set off on the run home. I had a couple of glasses of red wine last night and have felt a little sluggish today.

I run through Peckham High Street and it is still thronging. The first hour is hard. Especially up Peckham Hill.

As I run through the back streets of Peckham, I see a girl, of maybe 22 years, sitting crying on the kerb side. I stop to check that she is okay but she refuses help. She seems to have hurt her ankle and blames her "drunken" friend. In the end I get her moving off home. I set off again, wondering what I should have done. I see a Police van so I stop to see if the occupants are around but after a couple of minutes none appear. I run off, wondering what I should have done the whole way back.

Sunddenly after about 50 minutes my fitness kicks in. At the moment I struggle at the start of runs, and then at the 1 hour mark it all become easy. Brockley is the high point (in terms of altitude of the run) and while not downhill, it does become easier after this.

Initially my legs were a little sore from running in the aquas, but now I am moving effortlessly. I continue to pickup the pace most of the way home and start to enjoy. I fly up Beckenham Hill, somewhere I have previously struggled. Once it is light I will be able to cut through Beckenham Place Park, saving this big hill and maybe half a mile.

Since darkness fell it has been getting colder and colder. I look forward to getting home and out the cold!

I turn down my road and home. The first time I ran home from work I had to go straight to bed. These days, I run home fast, virtually barefoot and hardly notice it.

17.7km 1:46'27

No comments:

Post a Comment