Thursday 7 April 2011

Beckenham Assembly League


I shouldn't really be running and should be resting before the marathon. But the Assembly Leagues run hosted at Beckenham Running Club is about a mile down the road. I blagged my way of work to get home in time. All I need is for my wife to get back with the car. Eventually she returns, possible too late to make the start...

I thought a few people from the club would be there. I rush in to collect my number to make the start on time. When I look at the signing in sheet only one other person from the club is running. At the start I see a couple of other people from my work running club.

I don't intend to run fast. I am going to jog. I'm surrounded by Beckenham Shirts, but I feel smug in my PWR shirt as we won the mob match at Park Run on Saturday (Unfortunately I was unable to attend)

The race has a huge steep hill up to Ravensbourne Station and is then pretty flat apart from a little climb at the end. Even though I am only jogging I take a fair few people on the hill. They catch and pass me on the downhill.

It's a beautiful evening and I enjoy the run. A few hamstring twinges but I don't know if that is my mind playing tricks and teasing me.

At the finish, I do enough to ensure the person behind does not catch me but definitely no sprinting.

The surprising this is that my time was 5 seconds slower than last year where I had ran as hard as I could!

At the end I jog the half mile through Beckenham Place Park back to the car. Despite gently jogging I am easily sub 4 hour marathon pace. I am realy lookin forward to Sunday..

4.46km 21:05 (4:43/km)

No comments:

Post a Comment