Friday 28 December 2012

Back to the Rising Sun

I didn't think the night run was going to happen but it fell into place.  I drive to Knockholt and meet up with 3 people I've never met before.  Jerry had pulled out earlier with a cold but it turns out he is coming.

We run up a steep hill and Jerry is wheezing.  We go off road and straight away start slip-sliding.  I soon learn to run on my toes where there is more grip.  It is pitch black and I have my super-bright torch strapped to my head.  Soon we settle into a rhythm.  As we get to Otford, Jerry calls it a night.  The rest of us push on.   The pace is a little bit fast; it doesn't bother me as I go at my pace.  If I fall back, then I fall back.

As this is the North Downs some of the hills are hard, very hard.  We descend into walking at a number of points, but always onwards

The mud is sucking my shoes off.  When I get a chance I tie the laces tight and life becomes a lot easier.  The seal skinz socks are excellent as usual.  A couple of times we go wrong.  This involves climbing over a barbed-wire fence but it's nothing that we can't sort out.

Eventually we make it to the craziest pub in the world.  There is a meowing parrot and they get around 8 customers a day.  We have a beautiful pint of Winter Warmer.  The first few miles after the pub are easy as we are fuelled by beer.  Then it becomes harder.  I gradually tick of the landmarks on the way back.  All I can think about is getting home and getting something to eat.

Finally we arrive back in Knockholt, I say a quick goodbye, pose for some photos and then back home to demolish the Christmas Leftovers.

The light was good, though some of the other head torches are better at defusing the light.  A couple of the other guys suffered with battery issues.  Not a problem for me.  The shoes were good once I had tightened the laces to stop them being sucked off by the mud.  The seal skinz were as usual excellent.  My feet were clean and bone dry at the end despite wading through puddles.  A fair bit of mental strength had got me round but clearly my fitness is not too bad.

25.6km 4 hours including pub stop

No comments:

Post a Comment