Monday 1 April 2013

Last Long Run

I was going to do the last long run last night.  But work intervened and I had eaten too much, too late.  So I get up at 7:00am.  I head out towards Biggin Hill.  Last time I tried this route I gave up, diverted and abandoned after 11 miles.  Today I am determined to see it out.  This is a hard route.

I'm not too fussed about hitting any pace and it's likely to be slow on the way out as it's such an uphill slog.  I trundle along.  It's not too bad.  I go up through Biggin Hill, all the time as I climb it is getting cold.  My hands feel like near frost bite.

At the top of Westerham Hill I run out of Pavement.  I have about 1/2 a mile to run so I do an out and back along a country lane.   The run home will be easier as it will be mainly downhill.   I stop at the Petrol Station in Biggin Hill and refuel on wine gums and sports drink.  I also need to do this to warm up a bit.

As I start to lose altitude it warms up.  Through Hayes I am bored of the podcast and stick some music on.  This gives me a lift.  Once I reach the top of the final Hill on Pickhurst Lane, the pace picks up considerably. I run the last mile or so at 7:40 a mile; faster than marathon pace.

It's been hard, but not too bad.   I walk in the front door, my 7 year old girl jumps out on me and goes:
"Pinch, Punch, First of the Month".  Ruthless.

Last long run done, feels good.

19.87 miles 2:57:13

No comments:

Post a Comment