Friday 23 August 2013

19 miles long run up a big hill in the heat and with a slight hangover

I need to get some long runs in if I am to do this marathon.  But my life is hectic.  I was out last night and probably had 9 pints and a curry.  Tomorrow is going to be rainy and I never very good in the morning.  I had a few pints after work.  I think about abandoning the marathon.  Then from somewhere I find the motivation.

A couple of running podcasts and I set out just before 9 O'clock pm.  It's hot and humid and dark.  I crawl up towards the top of Westerham Hill.  To be honest I am done before the start of Biggin Hill airport but I keep on going, pushing myself.  I stop and get a drink and some wine gums from the petrol station.  I save half the drink for the route back when the petrol station will be closed.  I hide the bottle.

Towards the top of Westerham Hill it is dark with no street lighting in places.  Cars put their headlights on beam and dazzle me.  Eventually I reach the high point, turn round and head back.  Even though it is mainly downhill from here it is going to be a struggle.  There's not an easy quit option though.  I deliberately left my oyster card behind.  I have money but the bus will be hassle.  So I keep plodding.

Eventually I am home and it is almost half-past midnight.  I have a few drinks, shower and bed.

When I did this route as my final long training run for the London Marathon, I went a little bit further.  I did this half an hour quicker.  I guess it was not as hot, I was better trained and probably not slightly hungover.  I did enough tonight to prove that I'll get round the marathon.

19 miles  3:27:28

No comments:

Post a Comment