Monday 5 August 2013

Wonderful Sunset Run

I'm on holiday in St Ives Cornwall. I decide to run town the coastal path.  First kids have to be dispatched to bed. I realise that a long run may end in the dark so I charge the torch.  I also download the OS map to my phone.

I run round the harbour and then up to the chapel on the island.  I run across the back of the beach before reaching the coastal path in earnest.  Then it is beautiful.  Reminiscent of Godley Head in NZ and some of the runs I have done there.

I try and diligently follow the cliff but it is not easy and it is not sign posted clearly. I become aware that I am running inland and possibly back on myself. I resort to the GPS and OS map.  I then run an insane route through hedgerows and over granite stiles (all on genuine footpaths) to get back to the coastal cliff route.  Gradually I notice that the sun is setting.  I don't think I have ever seen the sun set properly. I have had chances but not taken them. So I stop and watch the sunset.  It disrupts the run, but, hey.  

The rest of the run I flow through the tricky technical path. By the time I return to the harbour I am buzzing.  The harbour is now also buzzing with tourists. Well, there's nothing I like more than a bit of crowd surfing. I flow through the masses and then hammer along the quay side. I power up the steep hill to the cottage.

One of my best runs ever.

8 miles 1:48:00

No comments:

Post a Comment