Sunday 1 April 2012

Reading Half Marathon 2012

I entered this race after a few drinks one night.  To be honest it is a bit close to the Marathon.  In 2010 this was my 'A' race.  I worked really hard and got my result back then.  Last year I ran it my marathon build up.  I ran it too hard and it probably had an impact on my marathon.


So today I use it as a dress-rehearsal for the marathon race routine and a glorified training run.  I do a full race prep.  The plan is to run the first 8 miles at marathon pace + 1 (9 minute miles) and then run the  final 5.1 at Marathon Pace (8 minutes miles)
It is funny at the start.  It feels like a race, I am dressed for a race but I shall not be racing.  We set off and I struggle to reign in the pace.  After 4 or 5 miles I'm really enjoying it.  Previous years I have been in agony round this course, but today I'm taking my time and enjoying it. 

I try out a few things for the marathon.  My tiny, race short, shorts.  These badly chaff me and so I will revert to my normal shorts.  The long socks, I think conserve too much body heat without adding anything, so will be ditched.  I take jelly beans, but they bounce around and some big-mouth points it out that they are fallling out; it will be Wine Gums on the big day.

The main problem is the Garmin is unreliable.  I am running perfect 9 minute miles, but the Garmin is showing a faster pace and is lurching all over the place.  I am not sure how to manage this on Marathon day.  Presumably I am gleaning something from the Garmin as I am running such a steady pace, but it is reporting 10/s per mile faster than what I am running.

Eventually I get to 8 miles and open up.  I'm able to hold the pace comfortably (whether this will be the case after 20 miles on the big day....)    I am not have to really dig into any reserves but the Garmin is still unreliable.  The sun is out and the heat is building.  I am not enjoying the beating sun.  I really hope marathon day is cloudy.

Eventually I cross the finish line, 10 seconds ahead of my 5.1 mile schedule.  I seem to be able to run a really steady pace.  I run to get the bus back to the car to get back and see the kids.

I am tired, I know I have been in a race.  But I didn't have to dig deep.  Marathon day will be boosted by a big dose of caffeine.  Today my goal was clear, 8 miles at 9min miles, and 5.1 at 8min miles.  This I did and hopefully have not worn myself out.  And so, to the big day.

1:52:39 21km

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Andy....shorts look a little tight though ;-)

    ReplyDelete