Friday 13 July 2012

Corporate Challenge 2012

I've been nervous for days.  I want to get there early to get down the front of my elite-1 starting pen.  Fortunately my team meets play ball.   I get there early and ready to go.

The elite blue section go, and then two minutes later we step forward ready to go.  I run with my mantra of "Use your experience"  And that is what happens.  Like the Sea, the crowd rushes out ahead of me.  Then they stop.   At 2.5km I see Sam from work.  He had blown.  Later on when I see him, he doesn't think that has happened, but it did.

The tide stops going out.  Then I start to reel people in and then the tide starts to come in.  Towards the finish I pick the pace up and the tide comes rushing in.  On some of the grass areas, it is starting to get boggy.  Not to bad for me, but I imagine some of the later runners will struggle.

I manage to sprint.  Initially I am elated by my time.  Then I realise it is 10 seconds slower than I thought.  But still good.  10 seconds faster than Larry's time last year when he beat me by 5 seconds.  (Larry didn't run this year)

Back at the hospitably tent I catch up with some of my team members.  Some of them think they may have beaten me.  Next day the truth becomes apparent.  No one has got within a minute of me.

Job done.

5.6km 24:54

No comments:

Post a Comment