Wednesday 20 October 2010

Autumn Evening PWR Run


I love autumn. It's chilly tonight but I can still get away with a t-shirt. Though all the other Petts Wood runners are dressed up like they are off to the Arctic. Richard even has a hat.

Tonight a simple format. Jog down to the Poverest Roundabout. Then 20 minutes off towards the big hill towards Chelsfield and the A21. Then turn round and head back. So in theory the whole club should reach the start again at the same time.

A minute in John G absolutely flies past me. Doesn't really look like he is trying.

After 10 minutes I have broken off into a group of one. Ahead I can see the fast people, but no one behind me. Suddenly I see the fast group heading back to me. I stop to berate them.
"It's only 15 minutes?"
Then I realise my mistake. It's Orpington Road Runners out on their evening run. I sheepishly continue on.

After 19 minutes the fast group turns. I turn as well. It's been a hard slog uphill to this point and it's time to pick up the pace.

In theory we should all reach the finish at the same time. But somne of the slower runners are soon gobbled up, a long, long way before the finish. It's good to run as a club though.

The last hill is a steep incline back to the roundabout. I (figuratively) roll up my sleeves and get on with it. Most of the run I have been in a group of one. I hear someone catching me on the climb and then go for it. I decide to battle and pick up the pace. I hear them sigh. I keep them off for a couple more minutes and then relent. As he runs past I explain, how I had to put up a battle

Soon I am back at the roundabout and we stop to talk as everyone else finishes. On the downhill just after the turn I really had been running well. I do like Autumn.

37.5 minutes 7.5km

No comments:

Post a Comment