Sunday 17 October 2010

Torture Chamber?

Since I moved to Shortlands I have had my eye on the local park. Most people would know it as Shortlands Park, though technically it is called "Bromley Park"

There is a 700 meter circuit which looks perfect for running intervals. At the far end is a steep hill leading up to Bromley North.

Satellite Here

Street View Here

It's Sunday night so I decide to go and explore. I do a 700 meter lap. One side is a bit creepy and dark (Though the rest is pleasantly lit with street lights)

At the far end is one of the shortest steepest hills I know. I already had it ear marked for sledging in the winter.

You can run up one side, at the top is a war memorial lit up brightly at night. There is then a steep path back down. All off road and within the park on paths. Imagine a D on it side. The straight bit is a long the bottom. The curve bit of the D is at the top of the hill.

I spend half an hour running up and down the hills, weaving various patterns round the 'D'. I'm not finding it too hard but it must be doing me good.

In the end I turn back and head for home. The hill work had irritated my right calf. Not too bad, but must be unusual movement.

It wasn't as hard as I was expecting, and in some ways I rather enjoyed it. I imagine on a Summer Evening it would be splendid with lovely views out over South London. On a cold autumns night, the darkness has menance. There were some chav-ettes hanging around with witty 118 comments for me but I imagine there could be worse yobs at other times.

Hill repeats, 40 mins ~ 6k

No comments:

Post a Comment