Sunday 14 March 2010

I am the Stig


Today was the Spitfire 20 miler at Dunsfold aerodrome where they film top gear. It is two 10 mile laps round the track and surrounding area with some runners only doing 10 miles. With next week's Reading Half Marathon, there was no way I would be racing. No way at all, not ever. Hypothetically I calculated a very good racing time for me would be 3 hours (This would be in line with my dream of a 4 hour marathon)

10 Miles in, without trying I am well under 1hr30 (around 1hr"26). I start to wonder.

At the 10 mile mark, those running only 10 miles split off and finish. I am just starting to get going. I turn to the runner next to me and joke
"Anyone up for another lap?"
I am enjoying this. The 10 milers look pleased at finishing, and yet I'm going to do it again. Cool.

13.2 miles in and I look at the watch 1"53. My previous best half marathon time is 1"59.55. The race is on.

Suddenly I spot my cycling club taking part in a race, but going the other direction.
"Come on Bigfoot"
The riders look bemused. I keep on running.

As we enter the flat windy Aerodrome with 3 miles to go, someone says
"This is horrible"
I disagree. I am loving every minute of it.
"I'm rather enjoying it. What the alternative? DIY? Arguing with the family"
I smile and zoom off.

1/2 a mile out I say to the Marshall
"How many laps to go?"
She laughs, I don't think everyone is as jovial a this point.

At the finish, I sense someone a long way behind slowly increase their pace. I am feeling cocky, knowing I am on for a more than satisfactory time. I open up. Full tilt. The few people at the finish stop and stare. They can't believe this crazy man opening up into a full sprint after 20 miles.

If it was the marathon, I would need to finish the last 6.2 miles in 1 hour 4 minutes. 10.3 minute miles. Even as I hit the wall, surely I could do this? The 4hr marathon had seemed an attainable long term goal. Now it feels close and familiar. I don't know why I entered this race, maybe it is pointing the way.

20 miles 2hr55"42 (not properly racing, honestly)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy,
    Love the blog. I put your 20 mile time into the McMillan Running Calculator http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm and it's calculated a marathon equivalent time of 3:54. So if you really weren't trying than I'd say 3:45 is well with you sights. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete