Tuesday 30 March 2010

All the way to the French coast

I'm on holiday in France at the moment with my foody, francophile friends. The spectacular little village I am staying in is a little way from the coast. A quick bit of google mapping tells me it is just over 5k to the seaside. If there's an option to run to the seaside, well...I know I'll need to burn off a few calories.

I run through the relaxed french coastal resort. As I arrive at the
seaside, I stop to take in the lighthouse a few miles of the coast and a few lungs of fresh, sea air. It is before the holiday season starts in France and so is deserted and calm.

It would appear that gentle, take it easy, on holiday runs seem to be run at 5"10 / km these days. A couple of stops to confirm the route on
the Iphone skew the time(i.e let me recover) and the watch is stopped. Allowing for this the 10km was dispatched in 53 minutes. This is equal to my official 10k PB (I have run 49 minutes but that was a split time on a half marathon)

I ran it in my old spongey shoes (we are still good friends, having been through so much) but it seemed noisy and inefficient compared to the Nike Frees.

I was tired before starting the run after a hard day at the zoo with the kids. I had worn my new aqua shoes (my wife will not be seen with me in the Vibrams) and they are pretty close to barefoot and it had worked my legs.

The mood, the food and friends are relaxed on holiday. Yet the pace I am running is last years race pace. It almost makes me want loose that extra 5kg of weight I am carrying but maybe after the holiday.

10.4km @ 57"00

No comments:

Post a Comment