Sunday 21 March 2010

Pay Day



The Reading 1/2 was my race for 2010. A winter spent running up mountains in NZ, cold wet damp dark nights, freezing cold runs to work in the snow, lunchtime speed sessions, Hare and Hounds, all for today.

My previous PB for a half marathon was 1:59:34. Last week during the 20 miler, I had covered 13.1 miles 1:53:00. The target was maybe 1:50:00 with the hint of better.

I have never run a sub 50 minute 10k (best is around 52 minutes) The first 10k is dispatched in 49 minutes.

Mile after mile is dispatched under the magic 8 minutes. Surely at some point I must blow? The Nike Frees have focussed my mind on form, so I concentrate on my form, the effort comes naturally.

At 10 miles, a slight wobble in confidence. Surely I can't go sub 1hr45 (A target devised on route as things are going so well). I feel panic developing.
"What would Niall do in this situation?"
Easy, he would probably laugh and then kick. So I laugh and kick. I am back on track with a Niall-like steeliness.

As I enter Reading football stadium I know I have done something great. This is my greatest ever running performance. I sprint the last 200m flat-out. In my mind the crowd noise increases, stunned by my sprint effort.

A totally perfect race in terms of nutrition, clothing, footwear, preparation and pace.

After the finish I have enough time to get the medal and bumf and stroll back to the stadium to sit around the stands for a bit and then clap home my friends.

Sometimes you do get what you deserve,

13.1 miles 1"43:38 (PB)

1 comment: