Monday 29 March 2010

Wiping the stain

The first weekly 5k Bromley Park Run was measured short by quite a bit. This means the website lists my PB as 23"07. I know this is not a fair time and it bothers me. I have never even managed to break 24"00 despite 14 attempts.

But with my recent performances I think it could be the week. At last weeks Reading Half A couple of the 5k splits were around 24"00.

I prepare exactly the same as I did for the Reading.

I start off well. It is 1k before Martin from the club overtakes me(he has gone near to 20"00 for the run previously)

David does Park Run every week. I regularly used to finish ahead of him, then we were equal and now he regularly beats me. He finally wiped out his short course time a month ago. He is now currently regularly beating 23"00.

I know all the time I am ahead of him I am on track. Each runner I hear coming up behind me I worry is David.

3k in and the muddy, boggy course starts to take its toll and I dig deep. I am not flicking off the surface like on my recent road runs.

At 4k David cruises past.
"negative splits?" I grunt at him. He always runs negative splits. He edges ahead but then remains 20 seconds in front of me.

In the finishing straight I open in to a sprint. I am still on David's tail but not close enough to challenge. As I cross the line I look at my watch and whack the stop button. I think the minutes say 22". I take a second look at the watch. 22"59. It feels terrific.

After the race I tell everyone who will listen the story. I know David understands the joy. The stain is wiped clean.

5k 22"59 (PB)

No comments:

Post a Comment