Wednesday 28 April 2010

Old Hare and Hounds, backwards

An Email from Mr. Savage proposing a lunch time run is too good an offer to miss. He is a good runner. Not in a smug or annoying way, but far better than me. This will be an easy run for him but more of a workout for me.

We do the Old Hare and Hounds route but backwards. This takes in Victoria Embankment, St. James' Park, Green Park and The Mall in a giant loop.

It is run faster than I would run on my own, yet throughout I am able to hold a conversation. It seems to be a universal fact that to run fast, others are required. I know the elite Marathoners have pacemakers. Alas stolen lunch time runs are not always condusive to companionship. Maybe I need to get the Garmin nagging me. Alas, I am not embarrassed for the Garmin to see me struggling. The power of peer pressure. Tuesday night club runs are always run at the pace of whoever feels strongest; the rest are compelled to hold on, pushing outside their comfort zone.

As we near the office I am sweating profusely and feeling thirsty. It feels as if it has got hotter as we run but this is unlikely.

Good route, good weather and good company. Running is not always just about suffering.

6.5 miles 57", lots of traffic light stops.6

No comments:

Post a Comment