Friday 23 April 2010

Old Hare and Hounds

Despite yesterday's disapointment I feel the need for a lunch time run. I'm thinking river, I'm thinking green and then a cunning plan emerges. The old Hare and Hounds course. It is about half a mile to the start, five miles round and half mile back. So a tidy six in total.

In the lift out of the building a middle aged suit is trying to impress the female office junior:
He asks
"Doing the marathon?
She replies:
"Could never do that. My friend did it in an amazing time, 4 1/2 hours I am doing the cancer 5k. But you can walk that if you want"
He tries to impress her:
"when I was 18, me and some friends ran 6 miles but then collapsed"

As I run to the start I toy with the idea of timing the run. In the end I can't resist. Race on! and I am back dodging the traffic like in times past. I run through Green Park weaving through the picnicers With the grass growing, the blossom blooming and the sun shining it is truely beautiful.

All the way round I manage to get across the roads without stopping. In the final straight I manage a sprint. I jab the watch. 39"18. This is 2 seconds slower than my HH on the new course. I did race, but not "race". I need other people pushing me to really run. It does indicate that the new HH course is slower. Interesting.

Yesterday I was desolate. But looking at the evidence I feel heartened. It was a PB on this course by a good 30 seconds and it wasn't a real race. My fitness is still there.

My best time on this course yet still relaxing and enjoyable. Quality time, with the beautiful Nike Frees. Yesterday's blues seem a long way away.

5 miles, 39"18 (6 miles in total)

No comments:

Post a Comment