Thursday 14 July 2011

Great City Run Disappointment

Last year, this run was ruined by getting caught at the back and the crowds. The elites were sub 21mins and my predicted time was around 23 minutes. This meant no entry into the elite section. But I got there early and queued at the front of the rest of the gang. This meant I was near the front at the start.

And to be honest, I can't complain about the crowds. All my work mates were in the local pub "The Red Herring" cheering me on at 2km and they gave me a good shout as I came by.

I can't really say what went wrong. I ran an even pace, I put together a sprint. But the tale of the tape was 22:17. My park run PB is 21:50. Today was on tarmac. There was an audience, it was flat. But 22:17 it was. I had hoped, 21:30, dared 21:10 but no 22:17 it was. I ran 22:04 barefoot (on a shorter course) at park run the other weekend

It was hot, but in reality everything was perfect. I caught sight of my gut in the reflection of the window. It has to be the weight.

None of my colleagues ran the race. They all congratulate me. I feel hollow.

5km 22:17km

No comments:

Post a Comment