Sunday 31 July 2011

In Search of Ghosts

Jerry has setup another night run. This one was billed as "In Search of Ghosts". With the baby I have been telling him for months I will not be able to make it. But I get my parents to help with the baby and I get out.

We meet in a pub car park in Knockholt. An number of familiar and friendly faces. On the stroke of 8 we are off. Straight away a brief stop to learn about the history of Knockholt and then off again.

Even though it is a night run it is still light and a beautiful evening. We stop on a hill overlooking Shoreham and it is unbelievable beautiful looking down on the Kent countryside.

On a last minute whim, I had decided to wear the Aqua Shoes. I had harboured second thoughts on the way there but it was too late to do anything about it. In the end I am fine. A few places where the road was rocky, I have to tread gingerly but the enjoyment of running in something that does not restrict my movement out weighs this.

As darkness falls, I get out my torch and switch it on. But the battery is flat. I had charged it, but I think the mistake was to leave the charger plugged in but switched off. I suspect this had flattened the battery. Clive kindly lends me his spare torch.

On the return to Shoreham, we stop in one of the pubs. The usual bemused locals when 12 runners come bundling into the pub. I have a couple of Lemonades. Getting going again after stopping tough, especially knowing we are going to be climbing for a while. But I dig in and keep going.

Most of the stories from Jerry are not ghost related but more about local history, which is fine, because as Jerry pointed out, most stories seemed to be tied to pubs. Probably made-up to add "character") The light evening and jovial group doesn't lend itself to a spooky atmosphere.

At the end, the rest of the gang manage to blag their way into the pub for a lock-in.
I head back home to help with the baby. As I walk up the drive, I hear the baby screaming.

13.5 miles (21.72km) 2.5 hours (approx with stops)

No comments:

Post a Comment