Friday 15 July 2011

Hot Hare and Hounds

After last nights run, and to be honest quite a few beers, it would be an achievement if I did the works 5mile time trial. But I like to support the event.

I turn up and chat with this month's time Dafyd. Then suddenly I am off. The crowds down the embankment are dense. There is a strong head wind on the outbound leg. As I reach MI5 I start to struggle. Down millbank I really start to struggle. It is hot and humid, I can feel yesterday in my legs and I am hung over.

I keep battling. Down past the ITV studios I am in a right mess. I really need a drink (of water). I switch to survival mode. I drag myself over Blackfriars bridge and there is no danger of any sprint.

I jab the watch and look at the time expecting the worst. But here's the funny thing, 40:31 which was only 40 seconds than last month when I had pushed. How could I run half decent today when last night was so-so?

I have a theory. My lovely race Asics Pirahnas are looking worn. Now that I have even barefoot leather shoes for work, I think they are pulling my feet out of shape slowing me down and hurting my ankle. This is probably what hit me last night. Today in the Nike frees I could run.

I think I will lay off them for a while and see how it goes.

I wasn't even handicapped last today, despite blowing up in a most spectacular way.

8.14km 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment