Wednesday 21 November 2012

Inter Financial Services Athletics Cross Country

I've done this a couple of times before and it is great fun.  Proper old-school.  5.6 miles round the hilly bits of  Richmond Park then back to the Bank of England sports club for pie and chips.

Martin has assured us that it will be sunny by the time of the run.  After getting change at the BOE sports club we look out.  It is blowing a gale and there is torrential rain.

At the start in Richmond Park everyone stands huddled and wrapped up to the last minute.  Eventually I strip off and within minutes we are away.   Even at this point peoples numbers are getting wet and falling off.  I get caught in a crowd but gradually pick my way through.  The drops of rain being accelerated by the gale-force window hurt my bare arms.  Some people are trying to dodge round the mud and puddles.  I have my seal skinz socks on and am realistic.  I plough through.

After a short while I am in a rhythm and running well.    It is beautiful despite the weather with a carpet of leaves.  The long slow drag up to the far point is a struggle.  My number blows off and I manage to catch it.  I hold on to it all the way to the finish.  As we crest the top of the hill the wind almost brings me to a halt.  As we turn back on ourselves to go down hill with the wind at our back, it become peaceful and easier.

There are some short sharp hills before starting the second lap.  I shorten my stride and pump my arms.  I remember the way I didn't quit at Beachy Head despite being sick and use this to inspire me.

The second time up the long drag Charlie overtakes me.  He thinks I have blown but I hold on and follow him up the hill.  I then pass him on the downhill.  He then passes me again at a later point.   I hold on and follow him.  On the last steep hill he stops and walks the last bit.  I think he has blown and set of in pursuit.  Alas on the other side he picks up pace again.   Back on the flat, in the run in to the finish he edges away again.   A couple of hundred meters from the finish I look behind hoping not to see anyone I'd have to race.  But it is all clear.  I still pick up speed and do a token spring.

A great afternoons work.  I love running in the autumn among the leaves.  Would be nice for it to be a bit warmer!  Later as we sit in the bar, and after is dark, we look out the window.  The sky is clear, free from clouds.  Martin was right about it clearing, just not about when.

9km 48:00 TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment